Mary Bright, a Society member and Trustee of Severndroog Castle, will lead a stimulating walk through the woods amongst the bluebells. We will then have special access to Severndroog Castle where to hear its history, illustrated with the excellent display, climb the tower and the café will be open. Numbers are limited, so please let the office know if you plan to come. Donations of £5 to the Society on joining the walk.
Meet outside the pub The Bull, at the junction of Shooter’s Hill and Shrewsbury Lane, at 10 o’clock. This is just beyond the Water Tower on Shooter’s Hill. There is a small car park at Severndroog Castle. The 89 bus to Bexleyheath from Blackheath Village passes the Bull.
A dozen Society members took a walk under April showers and among the bluebells in Oxleas Wood, led by Mary Bright. The highlight was a guided tour of Severndroog Castle where they learned the history of this folly, built by Lady Anne James in 1784 as a memorial to her husband Sir William James, once Director of the East India Company, and which celebrates his capture of the island fortress of Suvarnadurg. From the topmost turret they enjoyed spectacular views over Blackheath and London.