The Blackheath Preservation Trust Ltd

Return to the Blackheath Society home page  
       

The Blackheath Preservation Trust is one of the oldest building preservation trusts in the UK. It was founded in 1938 by members of the newly-formed Blackheath Society as an independent and separate property company (not a charity), with shareholders drawn from local and interested parties.

Its original objective was to rescue buildings in or near Blackheath, notable for their architectural and historic interest, and which were at risk from demolition or inappropriate alteration. This was particularly important at that time as it was fulfilling a role which has gradually been incorporated into statutory provisions, including the listing of buildings and establishing local conservation areas.

Since 1938 the BPT has undertaken about forty major projects, notably the restoration of Vanbrugh Castle, the Blackheath Halls, the Stationmaster's House at Blackheath Station, Brigade House (originally the local fire station) and the Blackheath Art Club.

Vanbrugh Castle

Vanbrugh Castle - 1719
Maze Hill SE10
Architect: Sir John Vanbrugh

The Blackheath Art Club


The Blackheath Art Club - 1885 & 1892 additions
Bennett Park SE3
Architects: Higgs & Rudkin

Chapman House Blackheath

Chapman House - 1848
the former Blackheath Stationmaster's House
Blackheath Village SE3
Architect: George Smith

The Blackheath Halls refurbished 2006

The Blackheath Halls - 1895
Lee Road  SE3
Architects: James Edmeston & Edward Gabriel

In April 2010, the Blackheath Society made a successful offer to acquire all the shares in BPT and as a result, BPT is now wholly-owned by the Society.   This acquisition will provide the Society with the opportunity to utilise the assets of BPT in order to further its principal objective - the preservation of Blackheath and its environs.

 Directors
Roger Ballisat
Julia Maynard
Frank Smith (Chairman)
Carolyn Watkins
Paul Watts
 

In 1982 the BPT purchased about four acres of
woodland  (now known as the Westcombe Woodlands) between Maze Hill and Vanbrugh Hill in Greenwich, to protect it from development. A new subsidiary, The BPT Woodlands Company Ltd, was set up in 2004 to take over responsibility for the future funding and management of the site.

In 1986 the BPT set up an independent charity, the Blackheath Historic Buildings Trust, specifically to attract grant funding for the restoration of Boone's Chapel, a small architectural gem in Lee, attributed to Sir Christopher Wren, and one of only two Grade I listed buildings in the London Borough of Lewisham.  This restoration has now been successfully completed.

Contact information

The Blackheath Preservation Trust Ltd
Chapman House
10 Blackheath Village
London SE3 9LE
bpt@blackheath-bpt.com

 

Registered Office:
Chapman House, 10 Blackheath Village, London SE3 9LE
Registered Company number: 344622

ŠThe Blackheath Preservation Trust